Friday 9 January 2015

How to get bright hair.

I have always dyed my hair, since I was about 9. I know that sounds very young but it was always wash in wash out dye, nothing that lasted until I got to my teens. Which is when I decided I hated my natural hair colour, which was an odd brown colour. So I made the decison to dye it black. I have a very pale complection to I felt that the dark hair suited me the best. I hate black hair for a very long time, but in my second year of university I decided that it was time for a change. I had bleach half of my hair before, it was terrible, it went yellow, orange and when I put pink onto it, it went several different colours. I was in sixth form at the time and was made to dye it back to black.

But at university everyone goes a bit crazy, and I was no exception. I attempted to dip dye my hair, which was still black at the time, so the bottom went an orange/yellow colour, but it didn't matter so much as I put purple on the bottoms. I really liked this style, but as my hair grew I couldn't be bothered to keep up with redyeing it the bright purple colour. So, I resorted back to black hair.
the first lot of bleaching, not length of hair 

After cut and purple added. 


In the summer of second year as I was entering third year of uni, I decided that I should go back to my normal colour! Now this is when my hair took a battering, and actually ended up falling out! My hair went from boob length too chin length, it was horrible and I actually cried. But finally my hair is beginning to grow again.
And this is what happens when you bleach hair from black, with natural roots :/ it started to break and fall out already. 

Here it is straightened and already shorter. 
Here it is a lot shorter, after it has broken and is very dry. 

And again, starting to grow a little again, thank goodness but still a little dry. 

And this was December 2014, finally back to a healthy feel, I had to bleach the roots, but I bleach bathed it so it didn't go dry. 

I got bored of the purple quite quickly, so I dyed it blue. However I had to light bleach it all over. I bleached bathed it, which meant instead of just bleaching it, I added one part shampoo, I used a cheaper version of Tresme colour protect shampoo, too one part bleach power and one part bleach developer. I only allowed it too stay on my hair for 20 mins, maybe not even that long. It went a very white blonde which was amazing in itself, but I had missed a few places so had to bleach bath certain places. (silly me haha). I didn't even wait an hour before I put the blue straight on. Because the blue is a semi-permanent and has zero amonia, it didn't damage my hair at all. Therefore, I left it on for about an hour, because I really wanted a bright vibrant blue, which is what I got.  

I got my hair cut today, which has brought out more shades of the blue and I love it. And I enjoy having the full fringe. 


What did I use?
  • Jerome Russell B Blonde Powder Bleach 100g Lightner - I used two sachets, there are four in a box. It is always handy to have a few sachets in, it is about £3.99 from Superdrug, Boots or Wilkinsons.
  • With that I used the Jerome Russell B Blonde Cream Peroxide 40 Vol 12% lightner, it is one bottle per sachet of powder, its about £1.69 from Superdrug, Boots or Wilkinsons. 
  • For the colour, I used Live Colour XXL Ultra Vibrant Bright Purple Punk 94, this is available in most shops that stock hair dye. It is normally on offer in one shop or another, £5.49 each or often cheaper or buy 1 get 1 free etc. 
  • For the blue I used something  bit different, I went to Sally's hair dressing supplies as they have a lot of bright colours in there, and hundreds of shades of colours. I recommend popping in as they give great advice and aren't too badly priced... Anyway,k the blue I used was Ion Colour Flash, Cobalt blue which is often on on offer as well, mine was £5.99, but was buy 1 get 1 half price. 
  • I have also in the past used Crazy Colour, which gives great results, very bright particularly the pink. 
I hope this has helped some people, I would love to answer any questions people have.

Love yah 

IsThataRedHerring 

No comments:

Post a Comment