Tuesday 17 February 2015

I finally finished Paper Towns by John Green

This post will not contain any spoilers!

WARNING! This is my opinion of the book and my personal review, please do not take this as fact, make your own mind up of the book.


I have tried to write this post at least a dozen times, and each time I end up deleting what I have written, because for me this book had so much potential, I started this book with excitement as I really liked The Fault in our Stars by John Green; however as I neared the end of this book I predicted the ending and I was correct. As I read the last few pages I was so disappointed and honestly felt the last chapter was pointless,

So what is the book about?
The book is set around Quentin.
Quentin is a normal teenager and is in his last year of high school, he has normal friends Radar and Ben. Quentin loves his next door neighbour Margo and always has done since they were little. Margo is not a typical teenage girl; Margo tends to run away often, she disappears for 2 or 3 days at a time and tries to leave clues for her parents and friends to follow so they know where she is, however the clues aren't always great and often get ignored. Margo's parents do not worry about her because she does this all the time. One night Margo knocks of Quentin's video and they explore the city, causing a bit of mischief and the next day Margo is gone. Quentin doesn't think this is a normal disappearance, so he sets out to find her. 4 days pass and she is still no where to be seen, so Quentin gets his friends and Margo's closest friend involved in finding her. The book follows Quentin and the group follow clues that Margo has left all over the city. Quentin believes Margo has left this clues personally from him.

I think this is a safe place to stop and let you read what happens... But I will say is that I was so disappointed and annoyed with the ending of this book. It had so much potential to be so amazing but for me it failed at every obstacle and corner. I just don't know why it had to end so stupidly. The whole book was leading up to finding Margo and then this twist, a stupid pointless twist. That made the majority of the book pointless. it could have ended within a few chapters and have been a better ending.

I am not sure if I have given this book a bad review because I really just wanted to finish it because i wasn't gripped from the beginning. I know I have given this book a bad review, but I want you to make up your own mind, we all have different tastes in books, films, music etc. So do not let my review dishearten you. I am just given my own opinion,

The film for Paper Towns comes out sometime this year and I will be seeing it, mainly because a new upcoming actor that I like is playing Quentin, I hope the film adaptation is good, I do have high hopes because the Fault in our stars was great. I do have one more John Green book to read which is Looking for Alaska and I am hoping I will enjoy it.

Love yah

IsThataRedHerring


No comments:

Post a Comment