Sunday 25 January 2015

I don't know what to do when I graduate

Like so many students, I am entering the last few months of University, and it has dawned on me that I have zero idea of what I want to do when I leave. I have toyed around with many ideas in the past few years. At the beginning of University I was torn between being a primary school teacher or a social worker. That did not seem to change until the summer of 2014, I had just finished second year and entering my third year, and I thought to myself 'Hell no am I becoming a teacher', but I still loved the idea of becoming a social worker. So I set my mind of becoming a social worker. However, when I came back to university in September and attended a postgraduate open evening, I was really shocked and overwhelmed by the idea of becoming a social worker. There were not many spaces and they wanted at least one years’ experience within the area of social work, and I felt that my small experience would not be enough at all.



Then December came, which was a terribly bad month for me. I had just recovered from the mumps, an operation and an infection (but that is another story). In the month that I took out from University, several ideas ran through my head; and I really wanted to become a midwife, I have no idea why or where this came from, but all of a sudden I was researching, ringing and asking loads of questions about how to come an midwife. But really it meant a new three year course and I didn't really want to spend another three years in education, so I scrapped that idea.

Over the December period I made myself a one year plan, something that seemed doable but still gave me something to aim for.

1.      Hand in all work on time
2.      Celebrate finishing
3.      Go on a small holiday
4.      Celebrate 21st birthday
5.      Return back to Weatherspoon’s, get enough money to pay off all debts.
6.      Start to learn to drive
7.      Pass text around December time
8.      Start looking for a full time job



Although I feel that this is a reasonable idea I am not sure I want to go back to kitchen work. So still struggling with ideas, a flyer came from my door, my mum picked it up and simply said ‘You’d be good as a carer’. And that really got me thinking. Maybe I could do that, I really thought about it and it made more sense to me. I could work a lot closer to home, saving on money expenses for travelling, there are plenty of care homes near me. But I do not see myself doing that as a full career. I’d really like to either go into Dentistry or work with children and young adults with special needs. I know I know they are completely different ideas and sectors to work in and for, but I have real interest in both areas.

So as you can see I still have zero idea on my future, nothing at all is set in stone as of yet, except the growing older part. I am enjoying being young and not have to worry about grown up stuff. But I know every day I am becoming closer and closer to having to decide what to do after University.

I am sure there are plenty of people stood in my shoes. I hope you aren’t as confused as I am.


Love yah 

IsThataRedHerring





No comments:

Post a Comment